Android 14The app won’t launch on devices running Android 14

"Ever since App Inventor updated to support Android 14, apps built with it no longer work on Android 14. I conducted a test: I had an older APK file that was built before the update, and it worked perfectly. I didn’t change anything in the project, but when I built a new APK file after the update, it no longer works on Android 14. The app won’t launch on devices running Android 14, while it still works on lower versions."

Why not tell us about your app, extensions used, etc. Have these extensions all been updated for API34/Android 14. Have you searched community about this ?

But I think it doesn't really matter because the application worked perfectly before the App Inventor update. Now that App Inventor has been updated and I built the APK file, the application doesn't work at all. It starts and then immediately shuts down. I only have the Anke extension for app update installation.

and you know that this extension has been tested / updated for API 34 Android 14 ?

Does you app compile, install and run without the extension ?

Once I add any extension, the application encounters an error and stops working entirely.

But I haven't seen an update for that extension.

Also, I do not see an "app update" extension by @Anke.

Can you provide the link ?

Uploading: 1724587945262353013414931130382.jpg…
It’s just that I didn’t change anything, and the app built before the App Inventor update works perfectly fine. Everything is exactly the same. Install an APK after downloading to ASD - works on all Android versions

It is possible that given this:

the extension you are using requires updating....

1 Like

Yes, and the same applies to this extension.

I will no longer adapt my extensions to these idiotic, ridiculous, annual targetSdkVersion restrictions.

This absurd nonsense must and will stop!

Great, thank you! Now it works, but I plan to stop building or updating the app until Anke updates the extension. I won’t hide the fact that this extension is very important—my app is practically useless without it.

Anke, thanks to you and your extension, as soon as I uploaded the file to Google Drive, the available update automatically appeared in my app and my friends’ apps, allowing them to download it without any hassle. It was a fantastic extension.

"I apologize in advance for the spam I’m creating, but why is it that, for example, this very old extension works without any problems? Why is that? Is App Inventor deliberately making things difficult for extension developers?"

No, but Google is :angry:

3 Likes

@Anke , if I ask you nicely, could you please update this for me because I can't do these extensions myself, and I must admit I really need it."

I have a solution that's a bit silly, but it works: you can change the app so that it targets Android 13, and then everything continues to work. Of course, it might not work with Google Play, but if someone is making an app just for themselves and their friends to use, it's worth a try. It worked for me – I'll send a screenshot of what I did. Maybe it's a silly idea, maybe it won't work for everyone, but it worked for me.

It works the same for the Play Store. However, from August 31, 2025, the app would only be listed there on devices with Android <14. The deciding factor is, The app would most likely be rejected in the Play Store anyway because it declares REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES permission in the Manifest.