App Builds and AI2 Companion - Neither working, even with older projects and checkpoints

You are suggesting I remove the table and other elements within and reconstruct it using different objects? I did try to connect the AI2 Companion to another project that doe not have any table arrangements and the Companion app still just sits on the splash screen not loading the UI of the MIT inventor app.

Ah, new information !! So not just the one project?

Check the Companion version.

AI2 updated this week.

Correct, not just the one project. I did just double check and I have the latest AI2 version :frowning:

Has anyone else reported this? I of course rebooted my cell phone in hopes of a reboot fix, but to no avail.

@ABG
Update - I created a new project and added nothing. I connected the AI2 Companion.
AI2 Companion worked.

I then downloaded the BLE extension found here, which is the same one in my other projects and added it to the project and then click and dragged it over the screen to add it to the application. I did not do anything else - no blocks, no layouts, etc.

I then reset the AI2 Companion connection and attempted to reconnect.

I was then able to replicate the behavior where the Companion app just sat on the splash screen.

I then deleted the BLE extension from the app (deleted it from under the Screen on the right hand side).

I then reset the AI2 Companion connection and attempted to reconnect.

The AI2 app behaved correctly/as expected.

Seems like there is an issue with the BLE extension. As I noted earlier, after the Companion app wasn't working, I used the Build menu to create an APK. I installed the APK and when I opened the app, it immediately crashed (the app used to load without issue/crashing). This leads me to believe that whatever is affecting the Companion is likely also affecting the compiler.

Can you replicate/confirm?

1 Like

There is a newer version of the BLE extension at

Try that?

There have been reports on this board of later Android versions being fussier about permissions, in the area of file access (by location and provenance.)

Make sure you have error detection and reporting for Screen1 and whatever components you use.

Splash screens are often the source of trouble at startup too, if they are there just for vanity.

That did it, thank you. Maybe discuss with the team to make this version the most recent stable version on the website?

I did do the permissions requests and such when the app launches and I'm handling the permission denies. Good tip though for others who are looking to play around with BLE in their apps!

The BLE version?

Yes. I updated the BLE extension to the latest version 20240322 and that resolved both issues - the Companion is now functioning as expected and I built an APK with the same app, installed it, and it did not crash on load (or at all haha).

Appreciate your help :slight_smile:

Hi I could use some help .Ioad up the MIT web site start building my app ,after a few minutes sometimes ten minutes web site would crash and Chromebook would come up as aw snap something went wrong has error still .Just started a few days ago after the update that Google is making us do ,before web site was working great.It is happening on another computer chromebook as well.Im not having any other issues with any other web sites,can you please help. I don't understand why we have to go through this every year and run around to fix everything when the website was working almost perfectly

Export and post your aia here

Same here nothing now works

All projects appear to load but they do not appear on the Companion it just shows the opening screeni.e. MIT App Inventor 2 followed by the type in the 6-character code etc.

On the broweser the under Connect the AI Companion, Emulator and USB are greyed out whereas the Refresh Companion Screen, Reset Connection, Hard Reset etc. are usable.

I have tried using both the latest browser version and previous version

Built: August 18 2024 Version: nb198
Use Companion: Use Companion: 2.72 or 2.72u

The companion is version 2.72u

I have tried loading many older projects going back months and some over a year.

If I create anew blank project it does work!

I have tried building the apps and downloading them and whilst they do install they do not run properly. As an example a project that I have been working on for many months now crashes with the following message:

Clear cache for Light?

Lights closed because this app has a bug. Try cleaning the apps cache first, and then reopen the app

Obviously I have tried this but it doesn't change anything.

These appshave been working for many months and no changes have been made to them.

I have reverted back to the Classic setting but no change there either

The Android devices are version 14, one is a Pixel 8a and the other a samsung tablet and they were both working fine until yesterday

Interesingly I have just tried the blank app again but inported an extension and now that does the same i.e. doesn't draw the blank screen, just leaves the opening Companionon screen!!

If the projects that are not working are using older versions of the BLE extension, you will need to update to the version I posted here:

If this is another extension, please share a copy of the simple project that failed to load and I can try to diagnose the issue.

Hi I have tried the latest libraries etc.

attached is my project
DMX_CONTROLLER_14thAugust_checkpoint3 (1).aia (495.0 KB)

I have many other projects that fail to work as well!

Are you using the standard connection mode or legacy connection mode (i.e., do you check the box on the companion screen)?

Standard mode

Hi ,Im writing again and Im sorry I was able to get back right away.Im not using any blue tooth extension ,I have built the aab file for 3 apps and updated on Google . went though for all 3 apps but when I went to update my apps on the phone they would not update. they were downloading but then when it went install it said it could not. I tried to figure out the stuff on Google that they list but nothing.I do have a older phone a Samsung j7,it was never an issue until last week but, I just bought a new chrome book last month and I have this chrome book for three years and they are both responding the same way on the MIT app inventor wed site were they are both crashing and the more information I try to put down the faster it is crashing.but I did have an issue with another app and it said to update app on Google and it said my software to old. they told me to use the web site and it was working fine.The chrome books only crash on the MIT app inventor web site.If you can possibly think of some that would fix the wed site and my phone without getting a new phone or new chrome books would make my happy because I should not have to update every time Google decides to change.thank you for any help you can give me.

Not really sure what's wrong at your end as no issue loading your project with companion here neither does it crash as apk on Android 9 or 14.

It might be your isp idk, try rebooting all your hardware and see if it helps..

P.S. I'm using Firefox 99,9% of the time however, I tested Chrome and it's big difference in diley with Chrome and +7k blocks in your project.

FireVsChrome