New App Inventor User Interface in Open Beta!

The top toolbar has a left-justified logo and right-justified buttons.
The form designer toolbar has left-justified project name, center screen menu buttons, and right-justified design/blocks toggle.

I don't see the blocks toggle on your mockup. Are you seeing it?

I'm happy to say that we have a completed Blockly plugin that does just that. We can make it available as soon as a big project to upgrade our Blockly version is complete.

Hmm. Is there some way we could make this clear to users? Since we implemented a "Select All" checkbox, I would expect users with a lot of projects to think they can use it for all their projects. Would it be possible to present a more informative error message?

I don't know for sure, but if it's a resource limitation, I'll guess that 15 is the limit @TIMAI2 can handle, but a user with a lower-end machine or slower internet would handle fewer.

When will the update come? I just can't wait.

I would like even just that, at least, because I hate light mode sooooo much.

Since the new interface was released, I have noticed a delay, of sometimes only 2 seconds (but they add up) in the blocks environment. Whilst clicking to drag a block, whether or not fresh or used, there is a delay of anywhere from 1/2 to 2 seconds. I have tried rebooting, reloading, re-everything i can think of... but to no avail. I tried the new interface (looks great by the way) but if anything the delay is slightly less, but still painfully noticeable.
I know my chromebook is not brand spanking new, and I have had issues in the past. (Still having some irritating issues with the companion not being visible).
Any clues to the delays? It seems as though the server(s) is(are) busy maybe?

Charley

try this one: ai2helper

Great news! waiting for this new feature
Thanks

1 Like

thanks for your reply,
yes I see the blocks and I just cropped the image because my image editor was giving me problems.

1 Like

Is this observed on the new interface or the old interface? Do you happen to see it even if working on a very small project such as HelloPurr?

1 Like

I notice it happen in both interfaces, new and old. I have tested a few different apps (I do not have HelloPurr) of different sizes. It does seem that the larger the app, the more
the delay. I have noticed it just recently, about the same time as the new interface was introduced. I am in no way blaming the new interface, its just as a time line.

the screen initialize function doesn't appear when I click Screen or control

I even zoomed in and out and it won't work. Fix this please.

Already reported. Change your blocks toolkit to Default in Project Properties.

Thank you so much!

One other feature that would be great in this new User Interface would be a way to graphically compare two versions of a project; see: Comparing different versions of an app
Thanks for your great job

I feel this post is accidentally marked as the solution.

Small problem with extension's drop down selector:

this is fine for inbuilt components, reporting it since it could be a side affect of development.

1 Like

The solution is to set Toolkit back to Default in Project Properties. The primary problem is users not understanding what the Toolkit setting does and being surprised when things change.

There is a bug where Screen blocks can't be added to custom Toolkits. That needs to be fixed, but custom Toolkits are intended for educator use, so the option to select them on the new project dialog should probably be removed regardless.

1 Like

Has anyone else had problems with connecting to the AI Compananion?

Today although the QR code is scanned and connection appears to be made the Compananion does not change from the opening page i.e. the App is running but not displaying.

I have tried this on three Android devices that have been working for years!,l have also tried old projects and reverting to the non-Beta version all to no avail

Have you updated to the latest companion app: 2.72/2.72u ?

I am not seeing any connection issues here in the office. Are you able to load simple projects? Can you tell us more about your device and setup?