Partial project loading issue and UI gone mad

hello there,
i've been developing this app for a few days as a work project.
Everything was going nice until today when one of the three screens stopped loading (on pc) and the companion would throw multiple internal errors as i tried to open the third screen while testing on my phone.
I have no clue of what the cause may be, apart from the size of the project or the number of components (visible and non-visible) being too much for appInventor to handle.
I really hope to get some help because this situation is compromising the integrity of my work so far and my chances of concluding and getting paid.
(i can't download the images of the block so i'll atttach the .aia file for you to check)

Metro_Elettronico.aia (295.0 KB)

Yep, major issues with your BLE_Settings screen.

We have an expert, @Boban, who may be able to fix it, or at least get it opening again?

You are aware that a bluetooth connection will be lost if you switch from one screen to another ?

thanks for answering.
yeah i'm aware of bluetooth disconnecting while switching between screens and i've already delt with that.
@TIMAI2 any idea of what the cause could be?
hoping @Boban will read this.

I'll look into it as soon as I get home.

1 Like

Try this one Metro_Elettronico.aia (296.2 KB)

first of all thanks for the reply and for the effort into helping me.
the one .aia you sent still doesn't work, but it seems that the appInventor's UI bug has been fixed (designer and blocks get displayed and i'm able to "edit" them).
i tried testing the app through the Companion and it works at first, but as i open the BLE_settings screen the interface still bugs and doesn't render correctly as it doesn't display the graphics as it should (colors and layouts are gone and the few components that are shown are shrunk and graphically default-like).
then i build the .apk; after opening it the first screen work just fine, switches to the second as it should but then flickers and throws cache errors (or starts looping through the first and second screen, depending on how it feels about it). i've tried several times and i've managed to open the (initially) faulty screen, but each time it's a matter of second before it goes back to the second screen on it's own and then crashes again just like the other times.

thinking about it the easiest and fastest way to solve this is to go back to the original .aia, entirely delete the faulty screen and develop a new one from scratch. hopefully deleting the portion of the app that makes it crash and hoping there's no other bugged stuff around.
what would you suggest?

(i'll attach a photo of the crash error and a recording of the (non) funcioning app)

Check your BLE extension version

I just updated ble extension to the latest version 20240322 and it's working just fine at my end as apk on Android 14 phone.

So follow @ABG suggestion and update ble extension..

i deleted the old version of the extension and imported the newer one, now the project doesn't crash on opening but it sometimes throws an error. i tried testing it on the Companion and it crashes and closes the app a few milliseconds after the first screen opens. i tried fixing potential causes of bugs but, still, i think these are insignificant and they're not the cause of all this to me.
i don't know what to do or what the cause may be anymore, as you guys have already fixed some problems on the project and the BLE extension.

do you guys think starting a new project and recreating the non-functioning app would be worth it?
or will the cause of the crashes show up anyway? even if it's a totally different .aia .
i'm also running out of time to complete the task and present it.

Don't do this as it will delete all of the related blocks in your app. Simply importing the new version will overwrite the old without affecting the existing code.

at first i simply imported the newer over the older version but it was still buggy, so i figured deleting and later importing the new one would have worked

Which version specifically (i.e., what does it show in the ? popup in the designer)? And what specifically is meant by "buggy"?

Maybe @Boban you'd be willing to share the updated project for @Luca_Matulli to test?

No need for me to upload the updated project as he can just redownload the above project and update the extension by himself however, I actually found a bug in Translator component he was using, the companion screen refreshes automatically as you go from to Designer/Blocks or in Block when you move them around screen refreshes it self automatically each time you move them..

testTranslatorCompBug.aia (1.4 KB)

Another thread with extension instead

P.S. There may be more components/extensions that do this

@Luca_Matulli try removing Translator component as you are not using it because it's buggy right now and that might be what you're experiencing..

i've been trying random corrections on my code for hours, then i took a look at the recent FAQs and the BLE one showed me that the extension had an upgrade.
and since i upgraded from the beta to the latest everything seems to be working fine, hopefully i'll make it on time for the job.
thank you all for helping me

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.