Remote installation of emulator (school)

I plan on teaching App Inventor to my students. I would like the students to have access to the emulator. My IT department explained to me that they use some remote deployment system that cannot handle an interactive installer. My question : is there some package that we can directly download and execute to install the emulator? The only thing I was able to get is the MIT_App_Invetor_Tools....setup....exe file, which is an installer that waits for answers from the user, so my IT department could not use this for deplyment apparently.

Welcome Caroline.

Have you read this guide (particularly the Emulator - Silent Install section that may be helpful to you). School IT/Network Admins: Information specific to school networks

My understanding is that is what is available and might work with your school's system)
Emulator - Silent Install

If that still doesn't work, consider instead using several 'older' tablets or cell phones for groups of students to share instead of an emulator. Old retired phones will work with WIFI and App Inventor even though the service for phone provider service is expired) . You might get phones donated by parents who are upgrading their current phones. Make sure the phones are clean of personal data and reset.

Also be aware there are Android emulators like Bluestacks that may be used for personal use in lieu of the MIT emulator that might be your IT department friendly. :wink:

1 Like

@SteveJG has linked to our best information on the subject. Hopefully that will be useful to your IT department.

We don't fully support them, but depending on what your IT department is comfortable with, the MIT App Inventor Companion should run if it is installed on most third-party Android emulators. It does work, and is supported, using the emulator included with Android Studio.

1 Like